House Fire Sends Three To The Hospital
May 24, 2024

On May 22nd at approximately 5:00 PM, the Pleasant Valley Fire District was dispatched for a hot water heater on fire on O’Halloran Circle in Pleasant Valley. Firefighters responding to the alarm were notified that flames were seen burning into the floor from the bottom of the water heater.

Arriving firefighters found smoke filling the residence with audible detectors sounding. The exterior wall behind the water heater was hot to the touch. Firefighters used a chainsaw to open up the wall from the outside and access the fire. After extinguishing the blaze the home was ventilated and monitored for carbon monoxide. The situation was placed under control after about 20 minutes.

Three residents of the house were treated by EMS at the scene and transported to the hospital by PV Medic 1 for evaluation. The home was declared uninhabitable by the Pleasant Valley Town Building Department and the Red Cross was notified to provide assistance for three adults, two children, and a dog.

Central Hudson Gas & Electric responded to control the power to the residence. There were no injuries to any fire department personnel and Pleasant Valley cleared the scene at about 6:30 PM.

The Pleasant Valley Fire District would like to remind residents to have working CO and smoke detectors in their homes and to have an evacuation plan in case of emergencies. Volunteers are always needed to be part of our team. Stop by our firehouses on Monday evenings at 6:30 PM or visit the “Join PVFD” section at

Photo credit to PVFD Commissioner Melissa Lawlor