Lithium-ion Battery Concerns
December 22, 2021

A recent post from the New York City Fire Department (FDNY) told about a fire fatality that was directly attributed to the charging of lithium-ion batteries.

“Early yesterday morning in the East Village, a fire on the fourth floor caused the death of a young man, left a woman clinging to life, and injured two teenagers. Our Fire Marshals have determined once again that this fire was caused by lithium-ion batteries from an electric bike." said FDNY Fire Commissioner Daniel A. Nigro

This has been a proven fact country-wide. These batteries, when they are damaged or overcharged will explode violently.

Lithium-ion batteries Safety Tips:

* Do not charge these in areas of egress or places where people are sleeping.
* They should be charged outdoors or in an unoccupied space.
* Do not buy unauthorized batteries. Buy the manufacturer's battery. There is a reason it is so much cheaper!
* Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
* Follow the manufacturer's instructions for charging and storage.
* Do not charge a device (your phone) under your pillow, on your bed, or a couch.
* Always use the manufacturer's cord and power adapter made specifically for the device
* Keep batteries/devices at room temperature. Do not place in direct sunlight.
* Store batteries away from anything flammable.
* If a battery overheats or you notice an odor, change in shape/color, leaking, or odd noises from a device discontinue use immediately.